Feb 5, 2010

The Case of the Huge Avocado

I LOVE avocados.  If you know me, you probably already knew that.  They are definitely on my top five favorite foods list, possibly even topping macaroni and cheese for #1.  :)  I put diced avocado in salads, guacamole on sandwiches, and of course I just love guacamole with chips {and a margarita on the rocks if I'm being honest}.  Yum!  This post has a great guacamole recipe {Bar Abilene's} . 

The problem with this favorite food is that they are so expensive. So when I was grocery shopping the other day and saw these huge avocados, Dominican Gold, it had me wondering.  Are they any good?  They were $2 each, as opposed to $1.50 each for the Hass avocados, which were super small this time. 

Powder Room 064

Have you ever seen these?  They are huge!  Here's a picture with a coin so you can get the full effect of it's size.

Powder Room 068

I was determined to take the test.  If they are just as good, it could mean a lot of money saved on grocery purchases...

{speaking of money spent on groceries, have you ever used mint.com? We just started using this website to budget...Kyle LOVES it, he's a finance guy, and it is super easy and is helping me STICK to the budget}.

...if they are bad, that would mean I would only be out $2. 

So, the true test...

Powder Room 070

They're not bad.  Not quite the same...a little sweeter, not quite as buttery.  But very similar.  Not exactly as good as Hass...but you probably couldn't tell much of a difference unless you were eating it plain, like I just did.

On another note, I made corn dip last weekend {there's no avocado in it}. But it's pretty good if you are looking for a different dip recipe.  

Powder Room 087

A new discovery for me is iced green chilies.  They make things taste better, but aren't too spicy.

Powder Room 083

Gotta go - it's BATH TIME!

Powder Room 031

3 comments:

nick&abby said...

we've been using Mint for a little over a year...Nick LOVES it...I do not :)

Mari Bryant- Marks said...

I don't know if you have a Save a Lot anywhere near you, (I love to go there for my Mexican ingredients) but they always have Haas avocados for 99 cents. Aldi also carries avocados, the one near me anyway and they are 89 cents. I share your love for all things avocado so I just wanted to let you know!

Swisstoons said...

I'm with you when it comes to loving avocados. Krogers was selling this longer, lighter green, variety for a buck apiece recently, so I picked one up. I found that sweetness you mentioned offputting. In fact, I had to talk myself out of thinking it had "done bad." I'll stick with Hass. Can't beat a simple salad of romaine lettuce, albacore tuna, hass avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, freshly ground pepper and salt.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com