Jun 5, 2008

Curried Chicken Salad with Mango and Grapes

Here's a recipe for chicken salad that I love! It's adapted from the cookbook Spices of Life by Nana Simonds (I bought this cookbook after hearing how much my friend Abby loves it). Serve with whole wheat pita pockets and lettuce. Don't be intimidated by the curry - it's not spicy, and gives the salad a great flavor!

Ingredients:
3 slices fresh ginger
3 T rice wine
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 stalks celery, finely diced
3/4 # red grapes, rinsed and cut in half
1 mango, diced
3/4 c minced scallions

Dressing:
2 1/2 t black or brown mustard seeds (optional)
2 1/2 t top-quality curry powder (I like Archer Farms)
2 T fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c plain yogurt
1/2 c mayo

Romaine lettuce and pita pockets

Directions:
1. Bring 1 qt water, ginger slices, and rice wine to a boil in saucepan. Add chicken breasts, partially cover, and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered about 12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and cut into 1-inch dice when cooled.

2. Toss the chicken, celery, grapes, mango, and scallion greens in a mixing bowl.

3. To prepare dressing: Heat a small skillet until hot. Toss mustard seeds (if using) and curry powder into pan and stir over medium-low until fragrant. In bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Pour the dressing into the bowl with chicken and stir to coat.

4. Spoon chicken salad on top of bed of lettuce or into pita pockets and serve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way! Abby just made this for me on Monday! It was so good! She usually cooks out of that book.

alan and steph said...

yummmm... sounds so great! And - I love your artwork! Great work ;)

4under3 said...

Oh my!!

I'm so glad I found you. Amanda's post about your double at my favorite, The Cheescake Factory, sent me over here. And food is such a love of mine. I'm glad it is one of yours too. I'm trying this Curried Salad, oh and the spritzers. And, I'm sure, many more of your great ideas.

Cheers.

The Chidisters said...

Hi Nealy -

Wow, it has been SO long since we have seen you or talked to you. I was reading Christy's blog and came across a link to yours. It was fun reading up on you guys. Sounds like things are going well.
Check out our blog if you want! Take care!
http://thechidisters.blogspot.com

Amanda Chidister

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com