May 18, 2008

Italian Tortellini Soup

My sister, Kiley, originally made this soup for Kyle and I while we were visiting them in Chicago, and now it's probably my favorite soup to make. I made a few slight changes to the recipe to make it a little easier, but the end result is still fantastic (Traci, I think Zac asked me for this recipe awhile ago). This is probably best to make for having company, because it makes a lot!

1 lb ground Italian sausage
1 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 c beef broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 c thinly sliced carrots (round slices)
3/4 c sliced zucchini (round slices)
3/4 c sliced yellow summer squash (round slices)
1/3 bunch fresh basil leaves (dry is okay)
1/2 t dried oregeno
1 pkg refrigerated tortellini pasta (I use white and green)
3 T chopped italian flat-leaf parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste

Brown sausage in a large sauce pan, then drain and remove. In same pan, saute onions and garlic. Stir in beef broth, canned tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Stir in zucchini and summer squash. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini and parsley during the last 10 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on each serving. If making ahead of time, add the tortellini right before serving.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nealy! This soup is really good and I can't wait to try and make it! You post a lot of recipes that I would love to make, when are we going to put together our Bible Study recipe book?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com