Oct 31, 2010

Pumpkin Blitz

 Boo....Happy Halloween!  I know if I don't get this posted tonight Halloween will be over, so I'll call this the great pumpkin blitz, and soon you'll see why.  We carved pumpkins this week with Callie...I must start with saying again how much she loves pumpkins and points them out everywhere we go (sounds more like "pa-pa").  So we thought she would love carving one just as much, but ironically she was a little afraid of the pumpkin!  This is about as close as she would get...


  We started out our little "family night" by reading The Pumpkin Patch Parable, and great gift from grandma (my mother-in-law always has the best gift ideas).  It's a good way to tie in a secular holiday with a Christmas perspective.  Reading this book just may become part of our family tradition.  If you're interested in getting one for your family, you can find it here.


So on to the carving...how do you cut the top of the pumpkin?  For some reason I thought if you cut a circle it would fall in the middle.  But my "star design" was pretty difficult to match-up.  Bad idea.



(This drives me crazy...she now has realized she can push a chair up to the counter and help herself.)


Here's our munchkin pumpkin in her costume, all ready to go!  Guess which of the five pumpkins is my favorite?  :)




 The cutest trick-or-treater out there if you want my opinion.  :)  You've gotta love Babylegs!


And of course, the loot.  She got to pick one piece before she went to bed, and she wanted a sucker.  Um, that would have been my last choice.  :)


Speaking of sweets, have you made pumpkin bars yet this year (recipe follows)?


Or have you ever made your own pumpkin puree?  I might try PW's homemade pumpkin puree this week.  It looks like fun and I like the idea of freezing it, just in case we face another pumpkin shortage next year.  :)



And here's the best recipe for the best Pumpkin Bars (thanks again mom!):
2c flour
2t baking powder
1t baking soda
1/2t salt
2t cinnamon
2c sugar
4 eggs
2c pumpkin
1c oil
Combine all ingredients.  Pour into sprayed 10 X 15 jelly roll pan.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Cool  Frost with cream cheese frosting (divide recipe in half for a 13 X 9 pan).


Cream Cheese Frosting


1 8oz package cream cheese
1 t vanilla
4-5 cups powdered sugar

What are your favorite pumpkin recipes?


4 comments:

Carrie said...

Logan had the same pumpkin costume. You will tell by my post he wasn't as excited about being a pumpkin :-)

Ariel said...

Oh your daughter is so sweet! What a beautiful little girl =)

Cindy said...

I have been waiting to see that little pumpkin in her costume! What a cutie. Next time you could cut the round hole in the pumpkin at the bottom and throw it away, then just set the pumpkin on top of a candle : ) Another way to do it.

Stephanie said...

I made your mom's pumpkin bars last week for our connection group. Everyone loved them and I couldn't keep my hands off the left overs the few days following! :)

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com