Jun 17, 2008

Pad Thai

I just love Pad Thai, a popular Thai food that is basically a stir-fried noodle dish with shrimp, peanuts, cilantro, and lots of other things! I first tried it years ago with Abby who introduced it to me, and my love of Thai food started then and there!

I have struggled to find the perfect recipe for this, until now. I made it tonight and adapted a few versions of the recipes that I found online. To my amazement, it turned out exactly like I remember...from the streets of Bangkok! My version is pictured above.

The recipe sounds a little complex, but it's actually pretty easy. I think I will be making this regularly. If you decide to try this recipe, make sure to get the proportions of noodles and sauce right - that can make a big difference in the flavor if you have too many noodles and not enough sauce. The spice level can be easily adjusted to fit individual tastes.

Ingredients:
2 t oil
3 green onions, chopped (reserve 3 T for topping)
1 t minced garlic

2 eggs, beaten and lightly salted

1/2 pound shrimp, medium or large
7 oz rice sticks or rice noodles, cooked according to package directions (or soak in very hot water until cooked but not mushy)
2 cups bean sprouts (1/2 cup reserved fresh for topping)
salt

Sauce (mixed together in bowl):
1/4 c fish sauce
1/3 c sugar
2 T tamarind juice (found in Asian aisle, in juice can)
1 T lime juice
1 t oil
1 t paprika (for color)

Toppings:
1/2 c chopped cilantro
3/4 cup peanuts, chopped small (food processor works well)
reserved bean sprouts and green onions
1 lime, cut into wedges
red pepper flakes (to taste - as desired)

Directions:
Heat wok/skillet to medium-high; add first 3 ingredients and cook about 1 minute. Remove from heat onto plate, and add eggs to wok; scramble then add to plate.

Lightly oil the wok and cook shrimp almost through; add rice noodles and 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, then cook for about 3 minutes. Add ingredients that are set aside on the plate, along with the sauce and half of the peanuts. Cook on medium-high until sauce is thick and no longer runny.

Season with salt and more red pepper flakes (to taste) and add toppings (cilantro, remaining peanuts, lime wedges, remaining bean sprouts and green onions).

To go with this recipe, I will post a few pictures from our trip to Thailand a few years ago...just for fun!

1 comments:

brianna gray said...

Yum! (I think I always start my comments to you with "Yum"!). I love pad thai too, so hopefully I can try out this recipe! I like the pictures you posted with it! Was that during your Philippines trip?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com