Oct 2, 2009

Crunchy Almond Granola

I love eating granola for breakfast. Lately my breakfast has consisted of granola with yogurt and fresh blueberries (and sometimes a hard-boiled egg on the side).

I searched and searched for the perfect granola recipe. I didn't want a recipe with maple syrup, and I also wanted to find a recipe that "clumps" together (it's so much easier to eat, and has more crunch). Low and behold, I found a blog with a granola recipe she says has taken her seven years to perfect. Well then, I have to try it!

Her secret? Grinding half of the oats, which helps the granola to form clusters. Also, using brown sugar instead of honey/molasses/syrup gives it a crunchier texture. So I adapted her recipe to fit my tastes, and slightly decreased the amounts butter and sugar. I also added flax seeds, almonds, and a few craisins.


Here's how it's done. In large bowl, combine oats, flax, almonds, craisins, spices, and salt.

Over medium-low heat, combine sugar, water, and butter until melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour mixture over oats.


Stir to coat evenly; let sit about 10 minutes.

Spread mixture onto a large baking sheet and separate clumps. Bake on middle rack about 25 minutes, then stir. Repeat until golden-brown and dry.


Crunchy Almond Granola

Ingredients
:
4 c quick oats, divided
1/4 c coarsely ground flax seeds
1 1/2 c chopped almonds
3/4 c craisins or raisins (I used craisins)
1 t cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/2 t salt

3/4 c brown sugar
3 T butter
1/4 c water
1 t vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300F.

In food processor, grind 2 cups of oats into a coarse oat flour. In large bowl, combine with remaining oats, flax, almonds, craisins, spices, and salt.

Over medium-low heat, combine sugar, water, and butter until melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Pour mixture over oats and nuts, and stir to coat evenly; let sit about 10 minutes. Spread mixture onto a large baking sheet and separate clumps. Bake on middle rack about 25 minutes, then stir. Bake another 15 minutes, then stir again. Continue baking and stirring every 15 minutes until granola is golden-brown and completely dry (about 1-1 1/2 hours).

Store in a air-tight container at room temperature.

1 comments:

Philly said...

Thanks! I was actually looking for a good recipe! That was awesome timing!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com